This post will guide you to install canon iR2018n as network printer in ubuntu / linuxmint almost all OS versions are supported.
This tweak is also valid for other canon printers the list is given at the end. Also the driver specified here can be used for USB as well as LPT printer installation.
To configure Canon iR2018n as a network printer please follow these steps
1. Connect the printer to the switch/router through a straight cable.
2. Assign the printer a static IP, N/w mask and gateway (though printer supports DHCP, assigning a static IP is good unless you can assign a permanent IP in router by getting MAC address)
3. Download the UFRII/UFRII LT linux driver for Canon iR2018 g8b5enx.zip (18.5 MB)
4. Uninstall the cups and cups-common in ubuntu /linuxmint through Synaptic Pakage Manager
5. Install g8b5enx\UK\32-bit_Driver\Debian\cndrvcups-common_1.80-1_i386.deb
6. Go to Admnistration > Printer > New > Printer > select canon…, give IP address of the printer in the right column, below give the port no as 9100. Click ‘Forward’
7. In the next menu select default settings or select appropriate model no. Click forward, give the Name as you would like to see. thats all you have sucessfully installed a network printer.
I. How to assign static IP to Canon iR2018
1 . In the Printer Control panel as show above Select ” Additional Settings” button
2. Navigate to “System Settings” > Network Settings > TCP/IP settings , Disable DHCP, add IP address give some thing like this
Eg: Assuming your n/w address range is 192.168.1.0/24
IP address : 192.168.1.100
Netmask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 192.168.1.1
Heres the UFR II Driver Guide Ver. 2.20 (6.5 MB)
Cautions, Limitations, and Restrictions (see readme along with the driver for more)
The normal problem which can occur is error LED blinking in printer when a print is given. This is due to page settings. ie (printer is configured for A4 and if you give a print of letter size) This happens mostly in Windows XP/Vista platform, to aviod it override the settings from default to ‘Shrink to A4′ option at the Printer ‘Preference’ menu.
Heres some concerns and problems with this driver, if you are aware you can avoid it.
1. When specifying multiple pages/copies for [Pages per sheet] in the [General]
sheet to print a document created with StarSuite7/OpenOffice, due to a cause
of operation by the CUPS module, settings are not correctly assigned to the
multiple pages and output.
2. If [Brightness and Gamma] is specified in the [General] sheet from an
application such as OpenOffice.org, GIMP, or Acrobat Reader v.5.0, the settings
will be invalid.
3. You cannot print a PDF document by directly specifying it from the desktop or
command line. When printing a PDF document, it is recommended that you print
it from Acrobat Reader or Document Viewer.
4. When printing from OpenOffice.org, some finishing functions such as [Rotate]
may not operate correctly if you specify multiple copies for [Number of
copies] in the driver UI.
5. If you specify Paper Source settings in the print dialog of an application
such as Writer of OpenOffice.org, the settings made from the application are
overridden by the printer driver UI settings. To print from the desired
Paper Source, specify the Paper Source from the printer driver UI beforehand,
or print from the command line.
6. If your version of Ghostscript is 8.6.x, you may not be able to print some
This printer driver tweak is also valid for the following printer models also
(not all product may have a network option)